Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

2012 IMBC - Day One - Gotta Get There From Here

.
It has taken me a day or two to regroup and get started on my blog recaps of our awesome 2012 IMBC.  I must say it was a great trip and it was so nice to get together with those bloggers I've met before and to meet some new friendly faces as well. 

As you know the players on the stage were Sonja, her husband Roland, Bobskoot, Richard, Troubadour and myself, Erik and Karen.   

In keeping with the format I used for the 2010 IMBC, I figured I would do a series of "What I learned" posts.  One for each day.

Day One - Friday July 20, 2012

*  I learned that no matter how hard we try to get out of the house at a specific time we will probably be running a little late.
.
*  I learned that the last thing I expect to see on a five lane highway between Lebanon and Sweet Home is a llama on the road.

*  I learned that if you choose not to take your heated jacket liner or winter waterproof gloves with you mid-summer you will inevitably run into rain and cold temperatures within 30 miles of your house.

(Wet bikes for cold riders at Tombstone Pass)
*  I learned at if you take only your tinted helmet visor, it will be cloudy and misting heavily.

(My misty dirty visor at Tombstone Pass)
*  I learned that traffic, even on a Friday morning, sucks between Sisters and Prineville.
.
*  I learned that long sweepers through the mountains can be oh so much fun.

(Long sweepers east of Prineville - where we are heading)

(Where we've been)
*  I learned that I would not want to be out there in the middle of nowhere in 1866.

(Sign reads:  H.H. Wheeler - for whom Wheeler County was named, first president of East Oregon Pioneer Assn.  Also US mail carrier from The Dalles to Canyon City.  Was attacked near this spot by Indians, was wounded, mail looted, and coach destroyed, September 7, 1866.)
*  I learned that you can't always find an ideal spot to have lunch on the road, but if you can find shade and have a Monarch chair with you it's all good.  The homemade Tofurky, avocado, lettuce and hot sauce sammiches helped too.

(Lunch stop in John Day)

*  I learned that roadside attractions are best when no other tourists have stopped to play.

(Wagon outside of John Day)

(Back end of wagon)
(View from the wagon)

*  I learned that the wind will come whipping through the plains blowing your bangs into your eyes and making it hard to put your helmet on.

(I must face into the wind to put helmet on)

*  I learned that 340 miles on Max in one day isn't so bad.  It didn't even feel like it had been that far.

*  I learned that an iced cold yummy Starbucks coffee after 340 miles is sooooo good and refreshing.

*  I learned that if you used Virgin Mobile phones which in turn use the Sprint Network - chances are you will not have service in Eastern Oregon no mans land.

*  I learned that if you do not take a camera with you to dinner with new and old friends you won't get any pictures.

*  I learned that if you have decaf coffee at 8:30 pm chances are you will clock watch until after midnight even when exhausted.


Odometer start of Day One:  5544
Odometer end of Day One:    5902
Total miles for Day One:        358 miles (576 km)

.......things I learned on day two - coming up.

- Au Revoir

" We are torn between nostalgia for the familiar and an urge for the foreign and strange.  As often as not, we are homesick most for the places we have never known." - Carson McCullers
.

21 comments:

  1. I learned that other IMBers are officially jealous of your little North American convention.
    Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you have enough moto bloggers is Australia and New Zealand you can organize one and make us all jealous....... just sayin'

      Delete
  2. Murphy's Law of Gear: if I take it, I won't use it; if I leave it behind, I'll need it at some point

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like those sandwiches too. Some fun lessons learned.

    I thought decaf still had some caffeine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decaf still has caffeine, but I mistakenly thought because of the lack of sleep Thursday night and the full day of riding I'd be so tired it wouldn't matter......I was wrong.

      Delete
  4. Lesson learned for next time: drink only hot soy milk before going to bed ;-)

    Murphy's Law worked once again. You take it with... you won't need it and the other way round.

    And kudos to you riding 340 miles in the wind. I find that was quite the accomplishment. Notably you were the only rider sans windshield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty windy but it wasn't as windy as the last 30 miles home on Monday. A crosswind that was so gusty. Very tiring.

      I didn't realize I was the only one without a windshield. Oh well, if Chris can do 10,000 miles without one, I can do 1,000.

      Delete
  5. I learned that about decaf coffee last night, I was awake until 1:00am. Hopefully next year I will be able to do IMBC - can we think of doing it in August though? I really can't get off in July.

    I hate the bangs in the wind thing too. Looks like you had an excellent time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you hate clock watching. I did it Thursday and Friday nights. Saturday I finally slept.

      Put your request in for August now and we'll see what we can do. I think the next one will be two years away. Every two years seems to work out well.

      We had a great time and hope even more people can join in wherever the next one is. I think I heard rumors Mr. Geoff James might be on this continent in 2014 - wonder if we can coordinate that in.......

      Delete
  6. LOL! ah yes the bangs! i love them, but no more bangs for me, one length hair is (getting old but) easier with the helmet.

    ooooooooh caffeine.... ouch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried growing my bangs out once and I don't think it looked quite right on me. I just aim into the wind then put the helmet on and hope they aren't standing straight up at the next stop.

      Delete
  7. Cool, I like the way you wrote this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer the #1 clipper guide a week before the vacation. It eliminates most all helmet hair! The Shoei helmets give me a corn row looking head of hair if it gets too long. I don't know if #1 would be a good look for you though, lol.

    It's pretty typical, if I pack it, I won't need it, if I forget it... I'll wish I had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm. I used to have really short hair. Probably shorter than Sonja's. I have been tempted to chop it all off to make it easier in the helmet but I lam liking it long. #1 clipper might be a tad too short.

      Delete
  9. Lovely pics. I have to face into the wind to don the helmet, too. Seems like a long, exhausting, fun-filled trip. Wish I could've been there, too. Glad you both made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was long and exhausting but a lot of fun. Wish you could have been there too. Maybe for 2014.

      Delete
  10. My hair in a ponytail keeps my bangs in place. With all this heat though I'm thinking about going back to the short look, though I'll probably be bald soon enough.
    Would be nice to catch one of these rides with you all some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy my long hair but sometimes it is over rated. Guys can get away with short hair a lot better than women can.

      Would be awesome if you could catch the IMBC 2014 and we could all ride together.

      Delete
  11. Llamas, bangs and cameras, oh my!

    LOL. I understand so many of those things. I too learned to face into the wind while putting the helmet on. Though I still have to shove my bangs up under the padding. No amount of anything will make them look good at the next sto if I have been sweating.

    Great for the 358 miles. I was wondering how you fared. Looking Forward to reading about the return ride,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bangs still have to get pushed to the side even after I put my helmet on. They are a pain but it beats trying to grow them out again.

      The 358 miles didn't seem so long heading out. Must have been the yummy iced coffee we stopped for before we went to the motel that revived us.

      Delete