Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Color of the Season - Blog Challenge

Martha over at Wisconsinland offered up a challenge this morning for those living with bleak winter weather.

She posted pictures of beautiful orange red roses and also a montage photo with a bright scarf, gloves, and a dog with a red collar all on a brightly patterned rug.

Her challenge is as follows:

"How could I not take a photo of these blazing orange red roses? 
Find some color to bring to your bleak winter. 
I could offer that as a challenge to those in bleak wintry conditions right now. 
Any takers?"

I accept that challenge.

Most people that read Troubadour and my blogs know that we have been experiencing some unseasonably cool and snowy weather.  We received 9 inches (22.8 cm) of powdery snow on Friday December 6th.  90% of it is still on the ground.  The 10% that melted has refrozen, as our temperatures have only just begun to creep above freezing.  I've dubbed it Snowpocalypse since people aren't equipped to deal with it in these parts and the schools have been closed since last Friday.  If we get any more snow we'll upgrade to Snowmageddon.

We've dealt with frozen hot water pipes, freezing fog this morning, and tomorrow morning freezing rain is predicted.  At some point when things thaw out, I think our clothes washer may even commence working again.  Might I remind you it isn't even Winter in our neck of the woods yet, it is still Autumn for two more weeks.

My bright spot of color is a picture of our backyard I took on Friday.  Our bicycle planter was the lone spot of color amidst the sea of snow.


Now if one was to ask Troubadour he might say his favorite bits of color in our bleak weather were his high-vis Aerostich and Fly helmet when he was playing in the snow on Friday.  ---->LINK

Another bright bit of color in our winter would be Basil's favorite red fleece blanket high up on the maple bookcase in the spare room.



So, if you are suffering, enduring, or otherwise embracing bleak winter weather are you up for finding a bright spot of color?

Any of you in the southern hemisphere or Florida that are experiencing Summertime warm weather can still find a bright spot of color I'm sure, but it may turn us in the North a bit green with envy. Pick a shade of green, any shade.

CHALLENGE INITIATOR:
WISCONSINLAND

PARTICIPANTS:
SCOOTER REVOLUTION
MAGERS IN EUROPE
RICHARD MACHIDA
- Au Revoir

The snow doesn't give a soft white damn who it touches." - E.E. Cummings
.

25 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love it! Thanks for sending the word around.

    Troubadour's colors surely fit the challenge, too. He seems very happy to have that color in his life in the bleak snow! I can't believe you are having this weather. And frozen pipes! I'm really sorry to hear that. I imagine this weather has caused problems for nearly everyone in some way. Most houses are not prepared for this in your area and I wonder how this will affect plants. Spring will tell. And no more snow or roofs could start giving way. Take care and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing these challenges so I don't mind getting the word out.

      I've added a pic of Basil too since I couldn't resist. That is how he is dealing with the snow. He is not impressed with not being able to leave the deck. Of course he could leave the deck, but he won't because then he'd have to touch the snow.

      All people are doing around here is bitch about the snow. No one owns snow shovels. Heck I don't own winter boots. It is the coldest December in the Willamette Valley since 1972.

      Luckily our hot water pipes thawed. We only had to go two days heating cold water on the stove and we never lost power.

      Delete
  2. Sweet kitty...Red is just warmer and more snug. Basil looks good in red! Red in winter is essential to good mental health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that why I smile when I look at him sleeping up there? The red?

      Oh and in regards to the plants - we are pretty sure we are going to lose our Escallonia, Fatsia Japonica and Euphorbia Wolfenii. The other will be a wait and see game.

      Delete
  3. Trobairitz:

    I am feeling sorry for you and your snow, your frozen pipes, your lack of winter boots. We also had freezing rain yesterday but most of our snow is nearly gone. It will be back to rain tomorrow. Seems like you and Dar in Vancouver Island got the brunt of the storm. We only got the cold Arctic air and a few minor wet snow flurries.

    I can't imagine lack of hot water. Must be nice to have your shower working again

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shower on Monday night felt so good. Just washing the hands in hot water was nice. With the pipes thawed we were surprised when the washing machine didn't work, but it is in the garage.

      We woke to 15 (-9C) this morning, but no freezing rain yet.

      I don't mind too much about the boots as I'd have to carry extra shoes to work. For now I've been wearing my Keen hiking shoes as they have a super good tread on the bottom and keep me up a bit out of the snow.

      I've been taking the bus to work every day so packing just a lunch bag is the way to go.

      Delete
  4. I've been watching the OSU cameras to see if guys have thawed out yet. It shows snow is still packed on the streets all these days later. I can't believe it hasn't thawed out yet. Very unusual. Ron said our washing machine is frozen, but otherwise I guess we are unscathed. I warned him if it isn't fixable I want a front loader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, everyone is still a little surprised and the k-12 schools in Corvallis are still closed today.

      Our washer is still frozen. I'll trade you for our front loader. I'd never buy another. In snarls your clothes in a tangled mess so when you go to pull things out for the dryer you get a big ball of tangled jean legs and sleeves etc. If we need a new one it will be a top loader, lol.

      Delete
    2. That's funny, I've had the opposite - more tangling with toploaders. Ah well, I guess we can both agree a frozen one, whatever style, is the worst. Here's to some warmer weather.

      Delete
    3. I suspect that the pump (located in the bottom under the tub) is just frozen. You could add heat down there and it'll thaw pretty quickly unless a new washer is the goal. It happens a lot to those with washers in the garage. Rarely does a frozen pump cause a real failure unless the plastic housing breaks.

      Delete
    4. That is what Brad figures it is too. Well, either that or a plugged filter. Error code could mean either. He'll check it out on his day off tomorrow. As much as I dislike the washer I am too frugal to just buy a new one.

      Delete
  5. I'm still searching for some bright color. Lots of white, grey, black and dark green. This is going to be a real challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you put a bright scarf on one of the dogs or cats? Santa hat on the cat? That would rhyme too, lol. Dress up the sidecar rig with a bright wreath?

      Delete
    2. I was looking for something that was already unexpectedly colorful not decorated or placed just for the picture.

      Delete
    3. That makes sense. You'll just have to keep an eye out for some color. I thought of it this morning when I saw "men at work" signs on campus. The orange was bright against the snow.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I agree, wish we could nap through it. He is really bothered that the snow is in the yard.

      Delete
  7. Can;t play along it's summer here now and we've got riding to do. No time for thinking just lots of riding....
    The new helmet arrived so we might have to ride in our nice warm weather......
    When it's really cold where you are there's really not much to do is there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See I told you, you were a tease. Enjoy that new helmet. And take some twisties for the rest of us.

      We still drove to coffee on Saturday and did groceries shopping, but other than that, watch movies and play on the interweb. House projects if you don't have to go outside for anything. If it wasn't so cold and the ground so icy we'd be out hiking

      Delete
  8. I like the way that orange bicycle pops in the background of snow....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't pop quite as nice as Valencia, but at least it is orange.

      Delete
  9. Love the orange bicycle! Nice catch. Thanks for bringing the challenge to my attention. I guess Basil doesn't mind the colour as long as it is soft and warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you have quite a bit of bright things around you. Waiting to see what you find.....

      Basil has a purple fleece blanket on the ottoman in the living room. It is another of his favorites. It is up against the living room window so he can keep an eye on things.

      Delete
  10. Hmmm...interesting challenge! I will have something soon to post as I am decorating for Christmas this weekend. Finally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing those colors. I'll add you to the list when I see you post. Make sure to let Martha know you participated too.

      Delete