Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

To The Beach!

Last Friday Troubadour and I both had the day off so we decided to take the little Fiat for a drive to the beach.  While we woke to below freezing temperatures in the valley, the coast was forecast to see a higher daytime high temperature than the valley.

We headed west through Philomath, then turned south onto Highway 34 to Waldport.  Our preferred route since Highway 20 to the north is a lot busier with truck and RV traffic.


Parts of the road had yet to see the sun and were covered in frost.  We saw 3 cars in the ditch, two of which were upside down on their roofs.  Change in color change in texture people. We slowed to lend assistance but were waived by.  Hopefully no one was hurt.

At Waldport we turned south on Highway 101 to Yachats.  The private Investigator we use for work recommended a vegan friendly cafe in Yachats called The Green Salmon.  We were intrigued.  It is usually hard to find anything but seafood or fast food when at the coast.

The cafe was super busy but the line was moving quickly.  We ordered a Tempeh Reuben Sandwich and a Gardein 'Chicken' Sesame Wrap and shared half of each.  Service was quick, but the place was loud.  We would have sat outside if we didn't think the cigarette smokers would bother us.  In Oregon we have a Smokefree Workplace Law, which means no smoking inside a restaurant, pub, mall, any store really, so smokers tend to move outside to the patio seating.

Sufficiently stuffed we headed further south on Hwy 101 to the Ocean Beach Picnic area.  A nice beach access spot to soak up some sunshine and maybe fly a kite. It is a lesser known beach access that most tourists miss unless they are looking for it.

(View from the parking area on arrival)
The sun was shining brightly and the temperature had risen to 50˚F (10˚C). One thing we noticed upon arrival was the large fog bank moving in from the west.  We wouldn't have long before it blocked out the sun.  Quick, to the beach.

We walked down a short paved path and then a few flights of concrete stairs before arriving on the beach.  South of the beach access path we noticed someone had been creative with drift wood and other found goodies on the beach.

(Driftwood art, photo taken looking north)

(Looking northwest)

(Troubadour on the beach)

(Looking southwest)

(A crab's eye view of the beach - a blue heron on the rock in the distance)
The tide was on its way out which makes for good beach walking and tide pool gazing. One of the things I like about this picnic area are the tide pools around the rocks.  You can usually find multi-colored anemones, mussels and other crustaceans, as well as the occasional baby crab or fish.

(Troubadour looking for anemones)
Link to the Oregon tide pool species guide:  LINK

(Anemones)

(more Anemones)

(As the tide goes out they can fill with sand)

(Giant Green Amemones - some as big as your hand)
As we walked further south we got closer to the Great Blue Heron.

(Great Blue Heron)


We eventually got too close and he flew off into towards the sun looking like a mini pterodactyl.

(A quick look North to see how the fog bank was doing in that direction.)
When viewing tide pools, even as the tide is going out, one must watch the rogue waves that sneak back upon the beach sometimes closer than the last.

(Troubadour looking at the tide pools)

(Glad he had his waterproof boots on)

("I thought these rocks were higher")

(California Mussels exposed to the sun by the receding tide)

(Gooseneck Barnacles)

(The fog slowly creeping in)

(Getting more overcast to the north as well)
(Wait for it...... almost gone now)

(Going........)

(Going......)

(Gone....... you can see the mist being pulled in off the ocean)

When the sun went behind the cloud bank the wind whipped up and the temperature dropped. It was a quick walk back to the car.

(Ahhh, nice and warm in the car)
Due to landslide clean-up on Highway 101 to the south, we decided to backtrack North and drive home via Highway 20 at Newport.

On the way, we stopped at the Cape Perpetua Visitor Center. For all the years we've driven by we had never stopped in until last Friday.  There were many hiking trails starting at the visitor center as well as an indoor whale watching viewpoint.  They grey whales are migrating south right now and we were able to see one pod.  Visible to the naked eye, but not a lot of detail and our binoculars were in the car.  We didn't have time to do any hikes, but I am sure we'll be back.

We did manage to acquire a few maps of the area that included trails and off road vehicle areas. We also took home a booklet that lists the parks and trail heads our Northwest Forest Pass is valid for parking in.  Without the pass we would have had to pay $5 to park at the picnic area and $5 at the visitor center.  The pass, at $30 per year seems to be a good deal so far.

By this time we were looking for something hot to drink, but the Green Salmon Cafe in Yachats was closed on the way by.  We drove further north to Newport where we stopped at Starbucks for soy chai tea lattes and then headed home via Highway 20.


We arrived home about 6 pm with temperatures once again hovering about freezing.  We had a good day out even if the sunshine didn't last as long as we'd like.

- Au Revoir

Many years ago I resolved never to bother with New Years resolutions, and I've stuck with it ever since." - Dave Beard
.

39 comments:

  1. I am glad that you had time and opportunity to get out. It looks like a beautiful day to be spent outside by the water watching tide pools, walking in the sand, breathing in the salty air, listening to the waves breaking, admiring the ocean view... (ARGGHH!) Just when I thought I had finally gotten over my longing for the we(s)t coast you had to post these beautiful pics, didn't you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does it help if I was thinking of you when I was writing this post?

      Delete
    2. Well, really? Yeah, a little ;-)

      Delete
  2. It's quite incredible what goes on in rock pools (what eats what!) - I was watching this BBC documentary recently

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rtdr4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like a really interesting show. Too bad they won't let me play it from across the pond.

      Delete
  3. When I lived in OR we would drive up and down 101 and the only places to eat that I remember (other than dingy bars) were Denny's and Mo's. Mo's was the best!

    I love these photos because they remind me of my first trip to the beach. I was going to ask what precip came from the front cloud, but I should have remembered that mostly it's fog- heavy, chilly fog. And I remember how good it felt to sit inside a warm car when that happened. What a nice day out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, we joke that Mo's is for tourists. Too funny. Chowder Bowl is Newport is the place all the locals flock too, but is quite busy.

      It is funny that when it is hot in the valley in the summer it pulls the fog banks onto the coast and they are overcast, but we didn't expect it when they are pretty much the same temperatures, just a few degrees different.

      Delete
    2. Mo's IS for tourists. During the height of the season. But off season, when it's cold and icky, Mo's- at least used to be- pretty quiet and enjoyed by locals.

      It started off as a little eatery then got popular, Paul Newman made it famous when he ate there while making a movie and the rest is history. I hope the food is still good anyway.

      Delete
    3. I can't remember the last time we were actually in Mo's because the lines were so long. Probably over 5 years ago on a group ride. I didn't know Paul Neuman had made it popular. Thanks for the trivia bit.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great day at the beach.....sweaters on but still.... that was a cool looking shelf-like cloud formation in some of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad even had on long underwear to ward off the chill.

      It was nice to get out. We would have stayed longer to fly the kites if the sun hadn't disappeared behind that shelf of clouds.

      Delete
  5. Oh, the beautiful Pacific Ocean! Love the Giant Green Anemones. I don't think I have ever seen them at our coast here. Thanks for sharing about the Ocean Beach picnic area. In case we decide to drive up north into OR we at least know where to go, armed with some good info from the locals.

    I'm thinking that I should head west again soon these days, just so verify that our ocean is still there. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you two decide to ride/drive up this way let us know and we can meet up somewhere. Or at least give you some tips on the twisty side roads along the coast.

      We don't go to the coast too often but it is nice to drive over to make sure it is still there. As soon as we see the ocean we usually say "yep, still there."

      Delete
  6. Nice photos! I love the smell of the ocean one of the few things I really miss...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Living this close to it, it is almost as if we forget it is there sometimes, but it is always waiting for us to come back and visit.

      Delete
  7. I can't tell you how grateful I am that you spent time Friday at the beach and then spent time compiling this(these) today. The wind is howling outside and bringing us frightful windchill temps but I'm full of coastal life right now. Just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime you need us to go to the beach and take a few pictures for you, you just let me know.

      Although your weather makes me think I shouldn't even think about complaining of waking up to 39 degrees and dense fog this morning. At least with the fog we know there isn't any wind.

      Delete
  8. Like Coop said ... can't tell you how much the beach is appreciated (even in long johns) as the temps here dip to a high of -20C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A high of -20. Brrrr. I remember temps that cold. I don't miss them at all. Brad and I have decided we aren't much for cold weather. Pretty to look at sometimes when it is accompanied by brilliant sunshine, but we still don't like to be cold.

      Delete
  9. Adding my voice to the chorus, beach pictures are most welcome right now! (Latest wind chill reading here is -35C.)
    I have limited experience with west coast beaches but they have always intrigued me with their varied life forms tucked away in little tidewater pools. Time for another visit I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been socked in in the valley with dense fog for two days. It isn't supposed to lift until Friday. I too am enjoying these sunny pics.

      Although I really can't complain since it is 46˚F.

      I remember -38˚C in Montreal in January 2001 that was cold enough for me, I don't need to experience it again. Come out to the coast anytime and we'll give you the grand tour.

      Delete
  10. cool pictures of the coast
    thats a bad looking cloud bak in the background in a few

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sure got chilly when that cloud bank moved in.

      Delete
  11. Great photos. You found a really lovely day at the coast. :)
    Hadn't heard of Ocean Beach. Will have to check it out one of these times. I love exploring a new (to me) destination. Looks like a nice beach and I love exploring little tidepools. I have never seen a Blue Heron at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. I don't think we've ever seen a heron at the beach before this either. He must have been looking for fish or crab at low tide.

      You would like the Ocean Beach Picnic area. Not a lot of people on the beach, you need a forest pass or pay to park and there is only a vault toilet, but worth it to have less people around.

      Delete
  12. Nice pictures. Even though going to the beach when its freezing seems counter intuitive. Those long empty beaches I miss, not swimming in those icy waters I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. It wouldn't have been bad if it had of stayed sunny. No beach walking this weekend. Temps in the low 40's and rain. Cheyenne would enjoy it.

      Delete
  13. What a nice trip I just had to the beach while doing my laundry inside a warm cottage-by-the-mall!

    Thank you for that journey and I was particularly taken by the heron, many of which we see around here. They always fascinate me.

    Lovely walk among the tide pools...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to take you on a virtual trip to the beach. Our weather now is in the mid 40's but has been rainy and drizzly for days.

      We have a 5 day weekend coming up, but sadly it is supposed to rain the entire time. Hmm wonder how far south we'd have to drive to find sunshine?

      Delete
  14. As usual, your pics are stunning. I probably would have squealed out loud to find that driftwood art. You immortalized it with your image. And seeing the progression of the cloud bank was awesome, too. As for tidepools... I. LOVE. Tidepools. I could spend an entire day looking at them. The Oregon coast is a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, luckily the little Canon point and shoot does a pretty good job. It is one Bobskoot recommended we buy.

      We too love tide pools, but don't get over to see them often enough. The driftwood art was cool because it seemed as they were trying to form walls for a makeshift building.

      Delete
  15. I'm back! Had to re-visit via the computer so I could really appreciate your stunning images. There are so many good ones! There are two I like best... Troubadour on the beach and the Crab's Eye View. The Gooseneck Barnacles are third. Those are the ones I like best for quality, but my favorite favorite pic is the driftwood art. How cool is that. That's the kind of thing that really makes my mind whirl. Who did it? What were they thinking? Did they hate leaving it? Did they at least get a picture...

    Anyway, I really enjoyed this post. How's that Fiat drive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the beach photos. What were the people thinking with the driftwood and how many of them were there. No sign son bonfires though so they might not have been warm as they were building.

      Fiat has been awesome so far. Love the little Sport button on the dash. Really makes it peppy off the start for in town driving. Poor Brad only seems to get to drive it on weekends though.

      Delete
  16. When I used to dive, I loved just floating under water and watching the anemones sway back and forth with the tide. They are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be mesmerizing. I imagine more so when you are underwater with them.

      Delete
  17. You guys have amazing scenery on the west coast. I love sunsets unfortunately my sunsets on the east coast are always behind trees. Nice little trip to the coast and I love your car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. Your sunsets may be behind trees, but the sunrises are beautiful on the east coast.

      Delete
  18. LOVE the FIAT! So cute! Great photos, as usual! I've been working a lot in the coastal area....I'm starting to really like Waldport and Yachats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goos to hear from you Jess. I think a lot of people have been heading to the beach to escape the fog in the last few weeks. If you are in Yachats check out the Green salmon if you haven't already. Busy but good.

      Delete