Pages

Friday, April 20, 2018

Catching Up.......

Well, since my last post was a month ago, I figured I'd best post up a little something.

CATCHING UP ON BIKES

On March 30th, a few weeks after our group ride to Sublimity, Troubadour and I made a mad dash back there to get the actual work done on the Versys 300x.  We were racing the clock to be there for our 3:00 pm appointment and just made it.

While the Versys was in for the tail light recall fix, the techs also installed the new center stand spring.  Apparently it took 3 techs and even then was so difficult they checked with the parts department to make sure the correct part was ordered.  A design flaw perhaps?  Let's hope it doesn't come flying off this time.  Might have to put a safety wire on it since it doesn't have an inner safety spring.

Racing rush hour traffic across the valley we rode straight home without stopping. As a result there were no pictures that day. We did luck out with a mixture of clouds and sunshine though.

CATCHING UP ON WORK

On a different note, my Legal Assistant job of 17 years ended on February 28th.  It was a sad day, but I was surprised with balloons, flowers, and even a vegan cake had been ordered in my honor.  It sure was weird walking out of there at noon that day.

Since then I have put out many resumes and had a few interviews.  I am pleased to say that I am once again gainfully employed or I will be when anyone reads this.  I am writing this on Thursday April 19th, but will have it scheduled to be posted on Friday April 20th, my first day as a Legal Secretary for the Oregon Department of Justice Trial Division.

I was officially hired on April 2nd, but they weren't going to be ready for me until the 20th.  That was a long 3 weeks to wait.  It is a Monday to Friday 8 am to 5:00 pm schedule, with 10 paid holidays a year plus vacation pay and sick pay accrual.

The new job is also located in Salem, Oregon (our State Capital), approximately 40 miles (64 km) northeast of Corvallis.  For now I shall have an hour long commute each way depending on traffic. And while I lose my flexibility in coming and going like I had working for my prior employer, I do gain a higher wage, job stability, full benefits, and participation in PERS (Public Employee Retirement System).  

CATCHING UP ON LIFE

The new job comes with a few life changes as well.  Normally I beat Troubadour home and get dinner ready and on the table by the time he gets home.  As of tomorrow he will beat me home by about an hour.  Time for Troubadour to brush up on his cooking skills.

Also, as many of you have read here before, my night vision is crap.  So our plan is to sell our house and move to Salem by the end of Daylight Savings Time so I will have a shorter commute in the dark.  We have been wanting to relocate anyway because of the two-story houses they built behind us and the neighbors we now have living beside us.  This job is just the push we've needed.

We have spent many of our days off prepping the house for sale. Baseboards along the floor and trim around all the doors has been installed, but at least Troubadour got a new rechargeable cordless nail gun out of the deal.  After that came painting, lots of painting, which included the new interior doors we'd never bothered to paint after installing.  Things are nice and bright with all that white now.

We still have a few things to paint, silicone to remove and replace around the tub, and general decluttering to stage the inside.  Warmer weather has just returned which means we can weed the shrub beds and get fresh bark mulch delivered.

Soon this place will be good to list.  Our goal is to list it prior to the end of May.

SUMMARY

So that is a quick catch-up of what has been going on here.  Sadly with all that is going on, it probably means less riding for me this year.  I don't have any earned vacation at a new job and won't for 6 months so there aren't any extra days to take off to attend the Black Dog rally or Dog Face rally with Troubadour and Polar Bear.  Maybe next year.

We still hope to be riding on the weekends when Troubadour isn't teaching or we aren't doing moving activities.  Technically I could commute by bike, but I am not so sure they'd appreciate the helmet head in the office.  We'll see.


We are not sure how Basil will take the changes, but as long as we keep his food bowl filled I think he will be fine.

- Au Revoir

" You must welcome change as the rule but not your ruler.
- Denis Waitley
.

36 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job!

    Getting used to it, prepping the house for sale and enjoying Troubadour's cooking....should be some busy and interesting times ahead for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom. Might as well do everything at once. At least when I was off work I had a chance to do some of the work on the house. Many days were spent painting.

      Delete
  2. Busy exciting times! Sir Basil will be just fine. Congratulations on your new position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dar. I am sure he will be fine. He will just hide in the bed like a cute little lump.

      Delete
  3. Big changes! Congrats on the new assignment. Hope it will work out for you. With the move commuting should be less painful. Will you go shopping for a new house or living an apartment life after selling your house? Neighbours can be a pain in the butt in either case ;-)
    All will be well, Brandy. And Basil will be alright as long as his human can openers do their job. Looking forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonja. The job seems like it will be a good fit. Yesterday was a good day, but it was a long one.

      We will be shopping for a new house. Apartment living when pot is legal is not that desirable I hear. If our neighbors are going to be inconsiderate, I'd at least like them further away that a joined wall. I think folks are more polite and there is more common sense in Germany so you have had better luck with renting. On most places here, the rent is more than a mortgage, it's crazy.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the new job, and the best of British for the house sale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As per all your friends, warmest congratulations and I hope that down the track a wee bit, you and Brad find a lovely place closer to your new work. I'm always surprised with the USA leading the way in so many things, how relatively little leave employers give their employees - sure restricts travel! All the very best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geoff. I will earn 8 hours of vacation for every month that I work, but I can't use any of it for 6 months. Maybe that is part of the union agreement, I am not sure. But, that is 12 days a year, combined with 10 paid holidays so it isn't really too bad.

      Delete
  6. Hope your first day went well. I'm sure that Brad will make wonderful, tasty dishes for you! Getting a house ready for sale is a daunting task no matter what the size. How is the local housing market?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First day went well. A lot to take in at once especially going from Macs for 17 years to PCs.

      Brad spent his youth cooking in restaurants so I am sure it will all come back to him.

      The local housing market is pretty hot. In Corvallis things are under contract within days. We are almost worried our house will sell and we won't find one we want to buy in Salem in time. We will probably get this place ready to list and then actively look. The minute we make an offer we can list this place and it should be fine, or list this first and ask for a longer escrow period.

      Delete
  7. Wow big changes, best wishes on the move Brandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You're having a whirlwind year. Good luck with the move, the house hunting, yada yada. I like Salem. Lived there as a kid, so I have a soft spot I guess. Most of my moto miles were via the commute, but our office was very casual, so no need for styled hair (not that I ever style it anyway!) Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. I think most folks we've talked to like Salem, only one person didn't like it.

      Our office seems to be business casual, depending on if you have clients or meetings. yesterday was casual Friday so everyone was in jeans, maybe I can ride on Fridays.

      Delete
  9. Nice work landing the new job and good luck with the house hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the new job! Shame about the commute but things have a way of working themselves out. As for dinners........get used to a bit of “did you like what you had last night? Because you are having it again!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Congrats to you on completing the AZ Trail.

      I can't complain about leftovers - I do the same to him. Cook once, eat twice.

      Delete
  11. Congrats on the new Job. I'm with Geoff, you guys don't have anywhere near enough leave. My hours are 7:30am-5pm with 1 RDO a month and 25 days paid leave per year and I'm still don't have enough time do do things. Life is just too busy these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They like to keep folks working in this country.... damn them.

      Day 3 down today and I think it will be a good fit. Traffic to and from is a pain though.

      Delete
  12. Brandy good luck with your new adventure, new life style. Whatever happens, wherever you end up will be better 'cause it's different from what you had. I'm sure you'll still find time to ride. Not sure about Troubador having to do the cooking though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troubadour cooked tonight and it was just fine. Life is good, I shouldn't complain about things. Moving will be good, it is just the process to go through it. And I don't have enough time to read blogs now. No using works wi-fi on lunch breaks.

      Delete
  13. Congrats on the new job, Brandy! Good luck with the house sale and finding a new one. Exciting times, and even if it isn't motorcycle related, keep us posted! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne. Sorry it took so long to post this comment Lynne. I just found it in the spam filter.

      Job is going well and we just met with our realtor for the first time yesterday, fun times.

      Delete
  14. Congrats. Pension plans are key and in the US only pubic employees get proper pensions it seems. Plus you know the difference between capital and capitol so they will love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pension plan is a bonus and it is SEIU represented too so that is cool. So far, so good. They even paid me yesterday they must want to keep me.

      Delete
  15. It's been a long time since I stopped by and I see a lot has changed. New bike, new job? Cool. Congrats on both! One of these days I hope to check out Oregon west of the cascades. I want to check out Seattle too. I am really getting tired of the heat down here. Anyway, good to see things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jim. A lot of changes in the last year. I've had the Versys for a year now, the job only 10 days. But they both seem to be a good fit.

      Come explore the PNW, we don't really get as much rain as they say. Well, sometimes we do but that can be a good thing, it makes everything green and fresh.

      Delete
  16. Major changes coming! Good luck with the new job Brandy, and with the move to another town and hopefully you won't lose out on too much riding along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew. So far, so good. The move is only 40 miles or so, so not too bad. Lots more twisty roads up there we haven't explored yet so that is a good thing. Just have to find the time to ride.

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on the new job and welcome to "the state" I've been working for Minnesota for more than a few years and really enjoy it.

    Happy (house) hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason. Somehow I found the job I wanted, but didn't know it when I applied for it. I am looking forward to many years there.

      Delete
  18. Hi T! Sorry I haven't visited in awhile. Things have been a little crazy with me lately. Wow, you certainly have a lot of changes happening. Good luck with the new job! I hope you find some time to enjoy your ride, even a small ride makes a world of difference. (I am sure Basil will adjust, he will be happy where ever you are) P.S. I really appreciate you visiting me and dropping me a line :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. I am down to only Sunday mornings for blog reading so I know how it is. So far the job is good, just need to find some time to blog another update.

      Haven't managed to get out on the bike though, sigh. Somedays that seems okay. 6 riders have died on Oregon roads in the last week. So sad.

      Delete