Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2008

All Hail Solstice!

.
The Winter Solstice is upon us and this time of year makes me think of Stonehenge. It has fascinated me for as long as I can remember. To me it is awe inspiring and one day I hope to visit the mystical ruins.


Most people wouldn't imagine Stonehenge in the snow but this picture definitely makes you think of winter.


Winter Solstice would have been of great importance to the builders of Stonehenge, people who depended on the longer warmer days ahead to heat the ground and make their crops thrive. Summer Solstice sunrise is observed at the ruins and also Winter Solstice sunset.


Most people do not know of the other awe inspiring monolithic site, this one in Ireland and called New Grange. It is estimated to be centuries older than Stonehenge and was thought to be built with the sole purpose of receiving a shaft of sunlight deep into it's central chamber at the dawn of Winter Solstice.


I know there are a lot of people out there who do not observe the solstices. I however do not observe the hijacked commercialized buying frenzy known as Christmas. I believe that people should be free to believe what they want to believe or in many cases free to not believe without being looked down to or frowned upon by others. The greatest thing about an opinion is just that, it is an opinion. It is not right, it is not wrong, it is what it is and it is okay to have different opinions.

I do wonder why it is that stores sell Christmas cards by the thousands if not millions but I can't find one store I can walk into and buy a Happy Solstice or Yule Celebration card to send to friends and family. Good thing we have the internet. I wonder if in my lifetime all celebrations will be readily accepted or will we continue to be dominated by religious celebrations and holidays? Time will tell.

Des jours plus chauds en avant
-Au Revoir


"Oh wind, if winter comes, can spring be far behind?" - Percy Bysshe Shelley


No comments:

Post a Comment