Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

Introducing Max 2.0 - Cool Max

Troubadour and I managed to find some time after work to apply/install the tank pads.  Hardest part was not running right out to the garage after receiving them, but waiting a day or two until we could take our time and do it right. Before I get into the install I figured I'd best show you a picture of how it looks complete.

Introducing........Max 2.0 - Cool Max


I am super happy with the way it looks.  Just exactly as I thought it would.  Max, but better.  Who knew a little plastic body enhancement would suit him so well.

This post will contain a bit about the contents of the kit and the install.  I wasn't able to find any information about it on the interweb when I was searching for info months ago.  Hopefully this will help others that may be debating about whether or not to add the kit to their Gladius.  If you don't want to read about the install just scroll down for more pics of it complete.

SUZUKI PART 990D0-44H03-PAD - CHEQUERED PAD SET

What is included in the kit:  2 tank pads, 2 smaller decals for the covers by the seat, 1 cleaning towelette, 1 pkg soap concentrate, installation instructions.

(Suzuki Part # 990D0-44H03-PAD)
 Installation:
1.  Remove the original silver S badging front the tank covers.  A hair dryer will aid in removal.

2.  Clean the surface to remove any decal residue.  Take the cleaning towelette provided (large alcohol wipe) and wipe the surface of the tank covers and also clean the covers beneath the seat where the smaller decals will be applied.  Let dry.

3.  Mix the soap concentrate with 5 liters of water and add a good portion of it to a spray bottle.

4.  Remove the backing from the double sided tape inside the tank pad, spray the back of the pad and the actual tank cover with the solution.

5.  Apply the tank pad.  Center it into place and press.  Within 10 seconds it adheres on its own.   Press around the edges where the tape is located to make sure it is secure as it dries.  Repeat steps 4 and 5 for other side.  Gently wipe any over-spray of soap solution off of tank.

6.  Apply smaller chequered/checkered decal to each side of cover beneath the seat.

Photos of Process:


(1.  Remove original silver S badge)

(2.  Clean the surface using towelette provided)

(4.  Remove backing from double-sided tape)

(Chequered tank pad after application)

(Cover beneath seat ready for decal)

(Cover with decal applied)







Overall it was an easy process that took more time to prep for than it did to apply.  I find it to be great quality with thicker pads than anticipated.  The small decals might wear in the weather like any decal would, but the tank pads should last. (provided there are no petrol spills).

I am looking forward to riding to coffee on Saturday to see how many people notice the difference. Maybe we'll get out for a ride after and find some spring blooms as a nice backdrop for some more photos.

Thank you again MB, you really are too kind.

- Au Revoir


"  I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." - G.K. Chesterton
.

53 comments:

  1. That's really good looking, very stylish and I'd be really surprised if anyone misses the new look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. I really like it.

      Rain forecast for tomorrow so we'll see if we ride to coffee or not

      Delete
  2. Looking really nice and the decals near the back are a nice touch. I guess I didn't realize that they were panels, I thought that they were heavy vinyl preformed pieces. These should be pretty tough and durable.

    I like the new look! (Now what's 3.0?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite heavy duty. Almost a plastic or harder vinyl with a gel coating on them. Hard to describe and the instructions don't say what they are made of.

      I dunno about a 3.0. Rocket pack on the back? Kidding.

      Delete
  3. It looks awesome.. So, since they look a little like cheek pads... Does this make Max a "Cheeky Little Bugger"?.....
    It looks great... but I won't see it on Sat.... Playing in the dirt with a coworker.....
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy, I really am happy with the way it turned out. I'm not sure about Max, but I've always been a cheeky little bugger.

      Have fun tomorrow. Although with rain in the forecast you may be playing in the mud, not dirt

      Delete
  4. Looks good and it's eye-catching as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gla dyou like it Dom.

      It is quite striking. Maybe I don't need the hi-vis now.

      Delete
  5. Mad Max! I am going to start a petition to ensure this is what you call your motorcycle from now on.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But he looks so happy with his new checkerboards. Maybe you meant Mad Max as in crazy, worked for the movie, lol.

      Delete
  6. That really dresses the Mad Max up. Yep, I'm signing on to Gary's petition. Looks Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys are funny. Glad you like the look though.

      Delete
  7. This is a really beautiful bike, I like the little touch, I agree with Gary, Mad Max it is ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. Max Max, huh? Who would have thought.......

      Delete
  8. Looking good - time for a track day...

    If you are worried about those little stickers on the side covers maybe you could put some 3M protective film over the top? That stuff is tough and lasts for years and years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew - truth be told track days intimidate me a little bit.

      Great idea with the 3M covering. You're so smart.

      Delete
  9. Ha! So much for keeping your head and eyes up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those look great on your bike! It really does dress it up. I bet you're wondering why you waited now. Enjoy your new eye candy. :-)

    Cheers,
    Curt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. It is like he put his tux on to go to the fancy ball.

      Now I just need to give him a bath. Still has road grime on there from last year. He gets a once a year bath whether he needs it or not, otherwise just a ride in the rain to blow the dust off.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I think I wash my bike as much as I ride it. :-) I like it when my chrome is nice and shinny.

      Curt

      Delete
    3. When we moved to Oregon we couldn't figure out why no one really seemed to wash their cars, now we know. They are either dirty right away from the rains and road splatter or covered in grass pollen during the summer.

      For my part, I think I am lazy, it'll get washed some day.

      At least anting the chrome shiny gives you a good excuse to wash it and polish it.

      Delete
  11. cant really add any more to what is already said above
    I think its all said
    but it looks great with them on makes a real difference in the looks of the bike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I knew I'd like it but was surprised at how good I thought it looked.

      People would ask me before what kind of bike it was, even with the S on the tank. Wonder if they'll do it more now.

      Delete
  12. Looks great! That really adds some pizazz. I bet he goes faster now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. Pizazz, that is a good term for it. I'll let you know about the faster part.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you El D. I think it is pretty cool too. I couldn't love it more.

      Delete
  14. Very cool! Looks great! I bet you are very happy! *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Plastic body parts- thank god for them! How else would I get a date? I have to admit they probably look better on the motorcycle than they would on me. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha funny! Plastic yes, but can you tell they're plastic?

      Delete
  16. Hey there good lookin. Heh heh looked easy enough to install. At least if your bored out on a ride you can whip out the chess pieces for a little game. Maybe not eh? Yeah Andrews right better off doing a track day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Funny you should mention chess. Brad was just saying yesterday we needed to glue a suction cup on the bottom of a Queen chess piece and stick it on there. Great minds think alike perhaps?

      Delete
  17. I find it is still fairly simple when compared to other custom paint jobs, just a little flashier is all.

    I noticed a teenage boy staring from the back of a car at a stop light yesterday. Apparently he liked the checkerboard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice Brandy. Resale value just shot up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resale value.....Don't swear like that David.

      There is no bike I'd rather have right now and even then I don't think I'd give Max up, too attached to it.

      Delete
  19. Sharp and cool looking! I like it, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! That's one of the nicest farkle I've seen on a bike. Sure makes Max look sharp and distinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari. I really love it too. I definitely can't be incognito riding Max any longer.

      Delete
  21. Nice! It looks very snazzy and adds to the zing level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dar. Snazzy is an interesting word for it. I like it.

      Delete
  22. Very cool! Looks like a professional racer bike to me.....ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The only racing it will see is racing to coffee, then the next rest area because of the coffee.

      Delete
  23. The Tank Pads look quite racy! Cool! I suppose it's a case of taking your time to put them on carefully if mistakes are not to be made. Anytime I've used adhesives like EvoStick Impact, whatever I'm trying to affix ALWAYS seems to go on wrong! Have a dry day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walter. So far so good. They went on pretty easy.

      Wish we could have a dry day but the spring rains have arrived.

      A good time to stay in and read blogs. I have been having trouble commenting on yours. Only about 1 in 10 go through without a "something went wrong, try again" message. So if you don't see any comments it may be people are having troubles for whatever reason.

      Delete
  24. Very flashy ... must have taken a steady hand to apply. Max looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily they were pre-formed and rigid so no steady hand needed. They pretty much set themselves in the right spot - with hubby's guidance of course.

      Delete