Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Surprise - What's in the Box?

Any guesses as to what is in the box?

(Special delivery from across the pond)
It has come from across the Atlantic Ocean........ I am sure it travelled on planes, trains, and automobiles before it arrived safely at our door.

(The instructions remind me of Ikea, all photos)
I think the preceding picture pretty much gives away the answer if you look closely.  If not, the next picture certainly does.

(Oooh, some nice goodies in that box)
(Left side chequered tank pad)

That is right.  The coveted farkles have arrived.  How you ask, did they arrive at my door?  Well, let me explain.......... 

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away..........

I was contacted by a fellow moto-blogger who had (much to my surprise) purchased the chequered tank pad set for me after reading my Coveted Farkle Post.

We exchanged several emails and then DHL visited us just after we got home yesterday and made the special delivery.  The set is better than I imagined it would be, and seems to be a high quality heavy duty molded vinyl.

Now this gentleman, who I shall refer to as MB for 'Moto-Blogger' and/or 'Mysterious Benefactor' (since he would like to remain anonymous), went out of his way to provide me with this special surprise.  It was unexpected and is much appreciated.

He would not let me reimburse him for the price of the goods or shipping, but luckily he will let me treat him to a meal or two if he ever decides to come to the USA, or we hop a plane across the pond for a visit.  Just know MB, how touched I am you did this for me.

The internet truly does make the world a little smaller and even though I have never met MB in person, I believe it is as Bobskoot always says: "There are no strangers, just friends we have not yet met."

I will do a more detailed post after the installation. It looks fairly easy; just a matter of cleaning the parts and mixing a solution to spray on before adhering.  I can't ride it for 24 hours after application so we will have to do it prior to Friday morning so I can ride it to coffee on Saturday.

- Au Revoir

" There is magic in long-distance friendships.  They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound." - Diana Cortes 
.

38 comments:

  1. Trobairitz:

    I can't think of a more deserving person. The part(s) look great and much stronger than the flimsy, flexible vinyl that I was imagining they were

    see, good things happen to good people

    bob
    A weekend photographer or Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Bob.

      The pieces are fairly rigid and look durable. Nice and shiny too.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful thing for MB to do!. Friends are great to have any time and in this case even more so. Wear your checker boards proudly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful thing. I shall wear them proudly, or Max will. He doesn't race so this is the closest he'll ever come to checkered flags, lol.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure that you may know this already but clean the parts really, really well. And use plenty of the soap water solution. Usually you can't see the little trapped specks until after the installation is completed.

    Can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll take off the old S badging and clean the goop off, then use alcohol, then the cleaning towelette they provided. It is a really thick vinyl compared to a typical wrap so it should be fine.

      We put tinted film on our bedroom windows a few years ago, man you can tell if you didn't get all the cat hair off. These are way thicker than that material though, which is a good thing.

      Delete
  4. Ahh that is fantastic and lots of good mojo and karma to MB!

    Although it looks good on it's own as it is, I would love to see pictures of it on the bike! Enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good mojo to MB.

      We try and Pay it Forward or do Random Acts of Kindness all the time (such as giving away new helmets to new riders and even paying for the car behind us in the coffee drive thru) but I never expected to be on the other end of it.

      Delete
  5. Good for you! I love checkerboard so I look forward to seeing it in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit of a facelift for Max. He will definitely be an original.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful surprise! Unexpected, yet in a way not unexpected at all. Oh, the item itself may have been unexpected, but the gesture of friendship is never unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was completely unexpected, but very appreciated.

      Delete
  7. Very nice. What a great person and a very generous gesture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Steve, he is a great person and very generous. It was very thoughtful of him.

      Delete
  8. When I saw "across the Atlantic" the mystery was solved. Now I'm anxious to see it actually in place and out where it can see some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the package came from the UK since that is the only place to order it from. I can't hint at where MB lives though, it could be anywhere - cue maniacal laugh.

      I am anxious to get it installed and some pictures of it out in the wild. We may have to go in search of some nice spring blooms as a background.

      Delete
  9. Cool!

    Put it on, put it on! :=)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The anonymous MB has a lot of karma going his way, and I couldn't think of a better person who deserves such a gift, Brandy. Can't wait to see the farkle on your bike and in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he does, but now you're just making me blush with the kind words.

      I am sure it will suit Max perfectly.

      Delete
  11. What a great gesture! Looking forward to seeing how they look once installed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing gesture on his part.

      I am hoping to get a follow up post with pics up by tomorrow night or Friday morning.....stay tuned.

      Delete
  12. Wow, that's really cool. I know you were really thinking about getting a set...now you have it. What a wonderful gesture on MB's part. Enjoy and post some photos after the install. :-)

    Cheers,
    Curt

    Live Free. Ride Hard. Be Happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super cool. How lucky can one girl get?

      Will definitely post up pics. You guys will all be sick of seeing pics by the end of summer.

      Delete
  13. This post made me smile Brandy. How wonderful ... the world is really full of terrific people (especially those MB folks, I know too well.) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to make you smile Karen. And I agree the world is filled with wonderful people. There is so much kindness in the world and I do believe it trumps over all the crap that goes on.

      Delete
  14. I saw your post last month when you were considering them. I'm glad things worked out for you and you have them. I can't wait to see pics of them installed. I bet they'll look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been installed, but you have to wait until tomorrow morning for the install post to publish: It is set to publish at 6 am tomorrow. I just finished drafting it.

      I love the way they look!!

      Delete
  15. i guess a tank pad set
    waiting for the fitted pictures of the new farkles as it will change the look of the bike so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guessed correctly. What did you win?

      Picture post coming tomorrow. Had to tease everyone for one more day........

      Delete
  16. Very nice gesture and nice looking farkle! So, does it make the motorcycle go faster? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faster? Hmmm in my case, probably not. Will let you know if it improve my speed.

      Delete
  17. Can't wait to see it. Going to look sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The world needs more people like MB. Really. "Little" things like that mean so much. What a nice surprise for a well-deserving gal. And the end result looks awesome. Happy riding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world really does need more MBs. it was a gesture that meant the world to me. So unexpected and so kind.

      Delete