Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Ford GT and a '77 Honda Gold Wing

This would be the answer to the question:  


What do people ride/drive to Saturday morning coffee?


This morning when we arrived at coffee we noticed David (owner of the blue Norvin) had driven his new to him Ford GT.  Oohing and awing ensued.  






Troubadour even got to sit in it.  He asked for the keys, but apparently test rides were forbidden.  I can understand why - it cost more than our house.

A little later Tom and his wife Bertie arrived; Bertie on her Honda Shadow and Tom on his new to him 1977 Honda Gold Wing.  I managed to get a few pictures when they were gearing up to leave.

(Bertie & Tom getting ready to leave - Derek on the left looking on)

A gentleman in La Grande, Oregon restores them and sells them for cost.  It had been a dream of Tom's to own one and I am happy he was able to find one.  Just look at that grin.  You know he is a happy camper.

(A happy Tom and his Gold Wing)

After coffee, we rode downtown for lunch and then home to do a little yard work.  Traffic was a nightmare because of the farmers market and the fact that Oregon State University's commencement is tomorrow.  The guest speaker for the commencement address is First Lady Michelle Obama.  Her brother is the OSU Beavers Basketball Coach.  Craziness abounds.

Just after 2 o'clock we took the car for a few errands, stopped by Starbucks for an iced yummy coffee and visited with SpartanBabe for a bit.  It was 82˚F (27.7˚C) in the shade when we left home.

We are thinking of maybe riding to the coast tomorrow to give my allergies a break. The cottonwood trees and grass seed is really coming into bloom and the pollen is killing me. Yesterday's grass pollen count was 277 and 200 is considered high.  Cue sneezing and itchy watery eyes, not to mention the sore throat.  Sneezing in a full face helmet is not recommended.  Ask me how I know.

We have the GSXR shock set back to stock settings, set the SAG for my weight and also tightened the front forks down one turn.  We are thinking that the twisties on the way to the coast will give me a good idea of how it feels now.  We have two multi-day trips coming up in July so it needs to be race ready in three weeks.

- Au Revoir

"Ah Summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it." - Russel Baker
.

20 comments:

  1. That sure is a nice looking car, but still its no motorcycle. Do you take any type of antihistamines when riding in the spring time, I have to otherwise my eyes wont stop watering and the sneezing. Thats why I like autumn the best for riding it not hot and my allergies don't flare up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antihistamines just make life manageable for the 6 weeks of allergies but don't do much beyond take the edge off. 24 hour relief my arse. I am taking a Zyrtec in the morning and Benadryl at night and at least I can sleep. That is the best combination I've found. Nothing else seems to even put a dent in it.

      The best meds I had were in British Columbia by prescription and they aren't available down here even by prescription. So I suffer, but it is only 6 weeks. By July 4th the grass fields are cut down, the trees are done and I'm good to go until next May.

      Delete
  2. That Goldwing is pretty, made back in the old days before they started to get silly with microwaves and 4 seater sofas, and I love the color. I love the shadow too, but then I am biased :)

    I'm glad I dont suffer too badly with allergies, I cant imagine sneezing into a helmet ... or I can imagine it and it's not pretty in my head. Hope the ride to the coast helps give you some relief, and that Max goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the color of the Gold Wing. Apparently it used to be yellow. Tom likes the blue better. Bertie really loves her Shadow. She originally had a Rebel 250 and moved up last year. Tom used to have a Harley but due to back problems needed something else.

      I can remember blowing my nose while riding pillion. It is nice to have small hands that will go up under the front of the helmet. Tricky not to drop the gloves though.

      Delete
  3. Oh yeah and love the new color scheme for the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Summer starts Wednesday so I needed something more summer looking. Now to go take a new header pic.

      Delete
  4. Well, hope the suspension mods make a difference (towards better!) and you have an enjoyable ride to the coast. That GT looks great but no car is worth that much no matter what it is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be inclined to agree. That is too much for a car. But David enjoys it and I guess he can't take the money with him so he may as well enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Love the Ford (even though I'm a Holden fan)!

    I've only had hay fever once and it sucked! That ride sounds like a good idea to blow the cobwebs out and it'll be interesting to see how the new shock treats you.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hayfever sucks, but I try not to complain because it doesn't help. I just suck it up and deal with it. Just a few more weeks. Luckily my office is air conditioned so it isn't bad during the week.

      Delete
  6. Allergies suck, all you can do is manage. Some year I get them, others I don't. The rain this year helped a lot keeping the pollen down.

    I couldn't care less about the GT (I am not into domestic muscle cars anyway, I am conservative motorcycle rider, and like cars that simply do the job...) but the Goldwing is one pretty thing. The colour is awesome, and that smile on Tom's face says it all.

    And the weather down there looks so nice... sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, allergies suck. They weren't too bad side wedid ride to the coast. Warm and toasty in the valley but mistynand chilly in Newport.

      Delete
  7. I hope you can get some relief from the allergies. And I hope the suspension tune in works. I need to start playing with the R to dial t in as well.

    I must say that I do love the GT. But could never own it for that price. And it would always sit in the garage. I'm glad he enjoys it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The suspension was fine on the highway but on the bumpy back road it was just that-bumpy. In hopes that most of what we will be doing is highway and smooth backroads, not chip seal forestry roads, the suspension should be okay as is.

      I think the GT is pretty, but I wouldn't own one either. I would much rather have a classic Dodge Challenger. Oh heck, even a new one if gas mileage wasn't an issue. Who am I kidding, what I'd really like is a Fiat 500 Abarth.

      Delete
    2. Heather likes the Fiat, but thinks the gas mileage is still too crappy. Oh well.

      Delete
    3. Crappy gas mileage is not good with this economy and gas prices. Our gas finally just went back down to under $4/gallon. It had been hovering around $4.29/gallon for weeks.

      Delete
  8. Hope all went well with your "shocking" shakedown. I, too, have allergies and this is another reason I like my MotoX helmet. Of course, I don't travel at your warp speeds :) I have to say sneezing in a MotoX helmet while not fun is definitely preferable to sneezing in a full face.

    ~k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be amazed at how fast I can raise my visor if a sneeze is imminent. I did well today, not one sneeze while out on the road.

      The suspension isn't bad. With me having no real basis for comparison I think hubby needs to take it out and see what he thinks.

      Delete
  9. Godness I am slow! You know how long it took me to figure out you didn't meet me at Starbucks? I couldn't figure it out!!! I swear I am losing my mind. At least I have you to remind me of where I am and what I am doing :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean before you started coming to Saturday Coffee? Cuz I know you've been to Coffee Culture.

      Delete