Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Soupy Fields and Soup for Dinner

.
Our weather hasn't been conducive to riding lately, although we have seen the sunshine in sporadic bursts.

Saturday after coffee Troubadour headed to the range to teach/intern another Team Oregon class and I headed to Salem in the car.  It was time for a Costco run.  We were almost out of their in-house roasted coffee.

I decided to take the backs roads as I was not in the mood to fight heavy traffic on the interstate.  Meandering along Independence highway allowed me to stop and take a few pictures of the flooding.



(water is only supposed to be a small channel flowing under the bridge)

(water not supposed to be beyond the trees to the right and the back of picture)

(Close up of back tree line - flooding the grass fields)

A little further and I made a right turn to the East and headed over the river to a favorite twisty road.  I was stopped short by this sight.

(Some people chose to ignore the sign and take their chances)

After snapping a pic I did a u-turn and headed further North then East onto Highway 22 before I could cross the river into Salem.

I stopped at Costco and Lowe's and a few other places.  I was shopped out by early afternoon.  The people in the stores were driving me nuts.  I am not good with crowds. The lack of common courtesy with the general public these days has a tendency to piss me off and give me tourettes.  I know when to call it quits.

I decided to head for Starbucks and then go home.  I had to dig the trusty GPS out of the center console and click on favorites until I found the Starbucks I wanted.  With an iced soy latte safely ensconced in the cup holder I pointed the Subaru towards home.

The weather could not make up it's mind on Saturday.  Sunny, rain, sunny, rain.  It made for some interesting clouds heading home on Highway 99W.



(Looks like a boot coming out of the clouds)

(Close up of boot cloud getting ready to stomp)

I got home and put everything away and Troubadour sent me a text and let me know he was on his way home.  With being outside in the elements all afternoon I figured he needed a big bowl of soup for dinner.

One of the benefits of a cool wet spring is that soup season has been extended.

I decided on one of our favorites; potato onion soup.  Not a traditional potato soup.  It is lighter and we like it better.  

(5 cups sliced red potatoes cooking in 3 cups un-chicken stock)

(3 medium onions sliced thin and sauteed/caramelized until soft)

When the potatoes are soft - about 15 minutes I break them into smaller pieces using a spoon or potato masher.



When the potatoes are soft and the onions cooked, add the onions to the potato mixture as well as 2 cups of soy milk (or cow's milk).  Add fresh ground pepper to taste  and voila.

(finished potato onion soup)

The original recipe calls for cooking bacon then sauteing the onions in the bacon drippings, but I use a little liquid smoke for the same flavor boost to the onions and then top with a few soy bacon bits instead.  I also substitute unsweetened soy milk for the moo cow milk.

(Soup topped with Tofutti vegan sour cream, Daiya vegan cheddar, fresh ground pepper, and soy bacon bits)

The recipe makes 4 big bowls.  We ate it Saturday night and then had the leftovers for dinner on Sunday.

(Leftovers patiently waiting to be put in the fridge)

Here is the complete recipe:

Potato Onion Soup

6 slices of Bacon (optional - can use liquid smoke instead)
5 cups sliced Red Potatoes
3 cups Water
1 Tbsp instant chicken bouillon (I used Better than Bouillon vegan no-chicken base)
3 medium Onions, sliced thin
2 cups Milk (or unsweetened soy milk)
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
** Sour cream, green onions, shredded cheddar, and bacon bits are optional for toppings.

1.  In large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Remove bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings in skillet.  Drain bacon on paper towel.  Crumble bacon and set aside.

2.  In large saucepan/stockpot combine water, bouillon, and sliced potatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer covered about 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.

3.  Meanwhile cooked sliced onions in reserved bacon drippings over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until tender and golden.

4.  Do not drain potatoes.  Use a spoon or masher to break potatoes into smaller pieces.  Stir in bacon, onions, milk and pepper and heat through.  If desired season to taste with additional pepper.

- Bon Appetit

"Only the pure in heart can make a good soup." - Ludwig Von Beethoven
.

33 comments:

  1. I like taking back roads most of the time, even in the car. I like to avoid traffic as much as possible. Looks like some nice back roads you have there.

    Hmmmm let me get this right. You ride bikes and are great in the kitchen. Troubadour you are a lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only do I ride bikes and cook, but I also clean, mow the lawn, make his lunch every morning, and generally spoil him silly, so yes he is a lucky man.

      But he knows it and appreciates it, so it's all good.

      Delete
    2. Trobairitz:

      when you finish down there, we need you up here. My lawn is getting long . . .

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
    3. I've been known to mow the lawn but it isn't an every week occurrence. We have a cordless rechargeable electric lawn mower and the darn thing isn't self propelling. So when I mow I huff and I puff, lol.

      Delete
  2. Errand days...happy to get necessaries, sad to deal with the public. I agree with you whole heartedly on shopping. The soup looks great.mmi will have to try the recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always hated shopping. It is over rated. Not sure why people associate shopping with women. I guess because we do it, not that we enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Excellent cloud shots! That does look like a boot! Let's hope it's a baby bootie. We are having some frosty and freezing nights now, so we are not into smooth sailing yet and potato soup would be most welcome in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking big stompy boot, not baby bootie. Baby bootie is not in my vocabulary, lol.

      You have had a change in weather. Sounds like soup season. The potato onions soup is nice because it has a lot of flavor and doesn't really need any seasonings.

      Delete
  4. Trobairitz:

    You had me stumped at "tourettes" . I may have had them when I was younger, but luckily they are gone. I don't like shopping either. I just dash in and out with what I need, window shopping is a waste of time, but if you are out coffee, then what can you do ?

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I could have said crowds give me a tic and make me swear uncontrollably but I figured I'd be more subtle.

      I prefer to dash in and out with my list in hand but sometimes I need to buy work clothes and such which were my other stops Saturday. Costco was busy but manageable since I only needed coffee and a few other small things.

      Sunday was just as bad. I went bra (brassiere) shopping. Now that isn't a fun task, but needed to be done. Now I can't stop singing "up where we belong." ;-)

      Delete
    2. im a tourettes kinda girl myself ;)

      Delete
  5. Nice pictures of all the flooding as well as the potato onion soup. I was trying to come up with something for tonights dinner, that sounds like a good option.

    I guess I'm weird as I don't seem to mind shopping. My youngest son usually joins me every Sunday afternoon for lunch and to do the grocery shopping for the week. He knows what everyones tastes are and pushes the cart. I'm there to pay and look for stuff not on the list ;-)

    When I'm out of town, my son gets sent out on his own. I'm told that he does a much better job as there is no "extra items".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      I used to do the grocery shopping. I also came home with lots of stuff "not on the list" and on a hungry stomach, until one day it all came to a head and I got this duty "taken away". I only pickup the small stuff which was "missed"

      I remember a time I was sent to the store to pick up some stuff. I didn't bring a list, I was smart . . . I memorized it. I mean, how much effort is there to remember 1 jug of milk. It wasn't worth wasting a piece of paper to write it down. Anyway I went to the store and came back with bags of stuff "not on the list". And the first thing Mrs Skoot said was "where's the milk ?"

      I was a smartie, I said "it's still at the store sitting on the milk shelf" . So I had to make a second trip

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
    2. Bob,
      I have forgotten the list on many occasions and had a photo of it sent to me as a text message. Usually to make sure that something deemed critical is not forgotten.

      Delete
    3. Lists are good things. I always have my list with me, but my problem is forgetting to put things on the list. Of course I find things that aren't on the list but Troubadour usually appreciates them as they are chocolate coated and/or snack related.

      Richard - it is nice that you and your son can go shopping together. I think it is helpful with someone else sometimes if you are trying to think of menu items and ingredients. Luckily we try and do a weekly menu up so I have all the ingredients bought in one trip. Hope you try the soup. We like it because it is easy and economical, but flavorful.

      I don't mind grocery shopping early in the morning, but sometimes in the afternoon it is tedious at best. People pushing and crowding, not courteous with their carts, kids running amok and their parents are on the cell phone chatting up their besties and not paying attention. Maybe I just need to stop shopping at Winco for my canned goods and frozen items. Fred Meyer has been doing very well on their prices lately and their produce is of good quality.

      And Bob, when you get sent back to the store for milk, do you buy another bag of goodies to go with it?

      Delete
    4. Trobairitz:

      we go to our local Safeway. I don't usually buy "our" junque food there. I look for deals on meat (oops, slipped out), yoghurt & stuff for making lunch. I buy my junque food at WalMart. They have Belgium dark chocolate bars, 54%, and 72% cocoa, also with almonds (my favourite) for only $3.98/bar and they are 400gr, nearly a pound, and I look for snack food like chips on sale. At costco we buy frozen Lasagna. I used to make this myself but instead of $40.+ to buy the ingredients, it was just cheaper to buy frozen at around $12.00 ea and it lasts for two dinners and two lunches. I also buy those BBQ chickens, debone all the meat and make sandwiches (for work) on French bread. I don't like soggy sandwiches, so I have butter, mayonnaise and sliced tomatoes at work where I assemble my sandwiches at lunch. At costco+ I also look for deals on Ribs and chicken thighs. The ribs go into the crock pot/slow cooker, mmmm delicious.

      speaking of food, I am meeting Orin tonight for dinner. We are going to Cambodian restaurant after he finishes with the Vanc Auto Show

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
    5. A weekly menu! That's organization. I usually look around and see what looks good. Fresh produce up here is somewhat of a challenge during the winter and many times I have difficulty finding specialty items. And a lot of what is there doesn't look too good either. So the menu isn't written down until we get home.

      Oh yeah, my son also drives his car so I don't even have to deal with the traffic.

      Delete
    6. Bob, it sounds like you know how to find the deals. Say hello to Orin for us.

      Richard - yeah, I guess we are pretty lucky with the variety available here. Nice that your son drives so you don't have to deal with the traffic.

      Delete
  6. I love the first two road pictures, they look great to ride along. Man oh man, that soup looks awesome. Must try that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wooley, we have some great roads around here. We are hoping to pick up a GoPro in the next few weeks so we'll be able to highlight the twisty ones.

      I hope you try the soup, it really is yummy. I bet you would like it best with the bacon.

      Delete
  7. Love the cloud pictures. I like clouds. And, I like water best when it isn't exploring new places to flow.

    Like you, I don't like crowds very much. I avoid them.
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Keith - "when it isn't exploring new places to flow."

      Delete
  8. fab pics! at one time i lived in an area that flooded regularly, in retrospect it was no fun...but it did result in some great pics and lively times, lol! mmmmm that soup looks DELISH! happy easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We have a lot of foothills and twisties but a lot of low lying farmland too and that is what gets flooded.

      Hoppy Easter to you too. :-)

      Delete
  9. Hi Brandy,
    Man, that soup looks great and we have all the ingredients too. Thanks so much for that, will be trying it as soon as we get back from our mystery anniversary trip. Leaving for Auckland today for an early flight tomorrow :-).

    Best regards to Brad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff!!

      Have fun on the mystery Anniversary trip. I can't wait to read the write-up when you get back. We wish all the best to you and Miss Jennie and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

      Delete
  10. The roads look great! the Sky is scary!!! But that potato soup!!! I need to try that!! Thanks Trob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you try the soup, it really is good.

      The sky was scary but I was safe in the car when the rain came and not on the bike.

      Delete
  11. Trobairitz,

    Awesome sky pictures! I do see (the big stompy) boot coming out of the clouds, ready to squash whatever is below! The lush green color of those fields are very striking... very Spring! Although Springs usually are a bit soggy, it's nice to know that better (warmer) days ahead. That day looked like a good "soup" day.

    I think I may try that too. I've never wanted potato and onion soup for breakfast before but hey, that's what I get for reading this blog at 6:30 am. Have you ever tried it with ham chunks in it? We love soup for suppers also, as long as my hubby can see plenty of meat in it! lol!

    Thanks for sharing! I've had a very delicious visit!

    Lady R (Di)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is soggy but we've had little bits of sunshine here and there and like you said warm days are ahead. We just need to wait out the rainy season.

      You could definitely put ham in the soup to satisfy hubby. It would probably be tasty. For us as vegans.... not so much, lol. Not problem eating soup for breakfast, as kids we'd eat leftovers for breakfast all the time.

      Delete
  12. Oh man. I'll have to try that soup. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I hope you try it and enjoy it.

      Our rains came back so it is soup again tonight. Homemade creamy broccoli soup - yum. I like chunky soup though so I don't puree it, just mash up the cooked broccoli some.

      Delete