Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Short Ride


Yesterday we were up at 5 am since Troubadour was teaching a Team Oregon class. He needed to be on the range by 7 am.

I rode Max to coffee solo and visited with everyone for a few hours and then headed downtown to grab us some lunch.  The plan was for me to ride to Albany to the range so we could have lunch then maybe go for a ride somewhere.  I stopped at Vietnamese Baguette and picked us up a few orders of Tofu Salad Rolls with peanut sauce for dipping.  Yum.  Something nice and light for the sunny day.

As I arrive at the range they were just finishing up with the riding portion of the day.

(Troubadour putting his range cards in his pocket)

He wrapped things up and talked with a few fellow instructors and we left the range as another class was due to arrive for afternoon training.  We walked up a bit of a grassy knoll to eat lunch while we watched the next students arrive and begin.  One of the bikes they are using now is a Suzuki TU 250 like what I owned before Max.  I watched as one student accidentally did a 'stoppie' on one while practicing emergency braking. Whoa, didn't know they could do that.

We decided to ride to Salem.  We stopped at Premier Motogear in Albany for an oil filter for Max (he is  a little overdue) then took the back roads over some of our favorite twisties.

We stopped at Cycle Gear and looked around and then headed to Wal-Mart because occasionally they will have Mobile 1 synthetic motorcycle oil.  No such luck.

We didn't stop for any pics on the way to Salem or on the way home but I did manage to snap a few in the parking lot of Wal-Mart while Troubadour was working on something.

(Troubadour futzing with Lucy)
While taking pictures I noticed our sunshine was fast disappearing as the clouds rolled in from the west.  I expected to get a little wet on the way home but the rain never came.




We only went about 100 miles (160 km), but it was a great afternoon of riding with hubby.  I can't ask for more than that.  Because we were up so early we were knackered by the time we got home from Salem.  A bit of vegging on the sofa and we headed to bed early.

Today we get the pleasure of having lunch with RichardM from Richard's Page.  We are looking forward to seeing him again.

- Au Revoir


"For the man sound in body and serene of mind there is no such thing as bad weather; every day has its beauty, and storms which whip the blood do but make it pulse more vigorously." - George Gissing, "Winter," The Private Papers of Henry Ryecroft, 1903


28 comments:

  1. It is really good that the two of you get to do some of your motorcycling together. There are not too many biking couples that I know of that share the same passion like you two do. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of my riding is done with hubby. He is my favorite riding partner. A lot of his riding is commuting during the week but on the weekends we are usually riding together. I guess we are lucky that way.

      Delete
  2. I am with Gary, nice that you to can get out together and enjoy a ride and lunch. It is a privilege few can share in.
    Good to that you get to meet Richard, I always enjoy hearing of fellow bloggers getting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby is the best riding buddy. I can't complain there, although he may wish I was a tad faster.

      It is always nice meeting up with blogging friends. We are lucky that Richard has family in town and he has come to Saturday morning coffee when he can. It was great to be able to sit and talk over lunch without all the noise from saturday coffee.

      Delete
  3. Trobairitz:

    +1 on having a built-in riding buddy. You both are so lucky

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky and we know it. Makes us wonder how we found each other in this crazy mixed up world.

      Delete
  4. Fun to see Troubadour in action on the range :)
    You know, I can hit everyone of those little cones in a single run.

    I'm glad you guys managed a short ride and no rain to boot! We've been lucky to have dry weekends this month. We've been in training mode on the bicycles, so our only motorbike riding has been on the weekly commute. And what has it done during the week? Why rain of course! It's all good though. We get good at dodging showers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but are you looking at the cones while you hit them? :-) I went out and did the offset cone weave on Max several months ago. It took a few very frustrating tries before I got it. And man was my clutch hand sore.

      At least it has been dry for your bicycle riding. Better to motorcycling in the rain than bicycle in the rain. No fairing on your bicycle.

      Delete
  5. Looks like troubadour is fitting a gopro. Get any good footage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye. He was indeed fitting the GoPro. At cycle Gear he picked up the suction cup attachment.

      On the way to Salem he had the camera facing rear to get footage of me, but with the really wide angle it was set on it looks like I a way way behind him. It shows the roads nicely though, but bounced quite a bit.

      The footage coming back was great the way he had it mounted, but he needs to do some editing to it as it is 10 minutes long as is. I am sure he'll work on it and get it posted in the next few days or so. Stay tuned.

      Delete
    2. Trobairitz:

      the best setting is 720p60, NOT 1080p30 because it records twice the frame rate and will smooth out the bouncing

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast
      My Flickr // My YouTube

      Delete
    3. I'll let Troubadour know. I am sure it will be mounted on his bike 99% of the time and I don't even know how to work the thing yet.

      Note to self to read directions........

      Delete
    4. If filming one bike from another with a GoPro wide, you need to be really close to be able to get a good view. In my recent Cuba video, we were riding REALLY close to get the shots I wanted.

      Delete
    5. I understand what you mean Gary. I didn't want to ride too close but then on the playback I looked way back. I'll know for next time.

      Delete
  6. Wow, those clouds do look ominous. Sounds like a nice day. Glad you got out riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a really nice day. And we lucked out with no rain. It did start raining last night but not until about bedtime. I am good with that.

      Delete
  7. We were at Don's shop when you came in getting our brand new seat on! Check it out: http://northwestexplore.com/2012/04/sunday-best-mr-eds-moto-tames-the-desert-beast/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad noticed the bike out back and didn't think much of it and then we read the blog last night and realized you guys were there getting the seat.

      If we had of known you were inside the shop we would have stopped to say hello.

      Delete
  8. I'm more interested in the Vietnamese Baguette restaurant! How was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome eats as always. I see I will have to do a post on them. They make the best baguettes and all are under $5. Of course their tofu salad rolls are tasty too. Sure, now I'm craving it.

      Delete
    2. Trobairitz:

      I love Vietnamese sandwiches, that's what they call them here. The meat is sandwiched between some beautifully crusty french bread rolls. Crusty outside, but soft inside. I love the chicken ones with cilantro, I love cilantro. (did I say I love cilantro?). The vietnamese sausage is good too. They are cheap up here, around $3.00, give or take. After you finish there are bread crumbs everywhere.

      Ms Skoot likes their Pho soup. We have lots of places up here. Come'on up and we'll try them out

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast
      My Flickr // My YouTube

      Delete
    3. Sounds tasty. They are one of my favorite restaurants in town. They sound the same as yours, crusty bread outside, soft on the inside. Fresh baked daily. At our local place all the baguettes come with pickled carrots, a lot of fresh cilantro (yumm) cucumber, spicy red chili sauce, and some with a mushroom pate (yumm).

      I always get the #10 Soya which has sliced tofu and veggie ham on it but I hear the shumai and curry beef ones are good. I always ask for no mayonnaise and ask that they add fresh jalapeno. I had one for lunch yesterday spicy enough to make my nose run and my mouth slow burn. It was soooo good.

      Delete
    4. Trobairitz:

      I also love Tofu & Mrs Skoot likes those shrimp salad rolls with the peanut sauce. We were at a Thai restaurant on the weekend and they had really good curry beef, and a tasty shrimp dish. It was at a place we had never been before and everything was fresh

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast
      My Flickr // My YouTube

      Delete
    5. I love salad rolls. They have shrimp or tofu ones at the Baguette. I don't know what they put in the peanut sauce but it is addictive.

      That Thai restaurant sounds tasty.

      Delete
  9. Glad you missed the rain - Isn't it a great tired, the tired you are after a nice ride?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good kind of tired. Always amazed at how tired we are, but like you said - it is a good tired.

      Delete
  10. Good that you had a nice ride in together. We don't get to do that as often as I would like.

    also cool you got to meet richard. I'm looking forward to meeting him as well as both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoy visiting with Richard when he is in town and we're looking forward to meeting you when you get to these parts. We're following your travels and enjoying your daily posts.

      Delete