Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

Why Not....

.
On my way to the post office before work Tuesday morning, I was stopped at a red light on the corner of Jefferson and 4th Street in downtown Corvallis.

I noticed the building on the corner, which has been under construction for over a year, had tulips and Hyacinths blooming in a planter around it.  Luckily the red light was long and I had the camera with me.  




I took the above picture, but then the light changed so I couldn't get a zoomed in shot of the tulips.  
.
Yesterday morning as I drove by the sun happened to be shining and I managed to get a more wide angle picture to better show the placement of the flowers.




I am glad someone thought 'why not' and planted some tulips to spruce up the otherwise drab construction site.  When I see it, it makes me smile.

- Au Revoir

" People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us." - Iris Murdoch, in A Fairly Honourable Defeat
.

16 comments:

  1. My wife loved the tulips, it didn't tickle my fancy being a manly man and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiptoeing through the tulips is not for everyone, lol

      Delete
  2. I LOVE these photos. I LOVE that someone did this and LOVE that you saw this and took the shots. Thank you. The effort to plant these, the effort to stop and appreciate these and the effort to photograph these together create a memorable event for you and your readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might enjoy the pics.

      Hard to believe but this is only half of them. The construction site takes up a half block in length from the alley to the corner and this is only one side of it. There are just as many tulips on the other side.

      Delete
  3. I love that they are so "regimentally" placed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like colorful soldiers chasing the blues away.

      Delete
  4. Trobairitz:

    I often notice "things" on my commute. When in the car I can quickly grab my camera, even though it is against the law to "use any electronic device while driving". On the bike, I have to remove my gloves, grab the camera out of my pocket. Click to "neutral" so I can release the clutch hand, power up the camera, "snap", and put everything away before the light turns green. It's not easy when you stop near the end of the light cycle.

    Now that you are fixated on taking more photos, that light will NOW, always be "green" when you arrive at that intersection.

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take pics on the bike on the fly. I'd be dropping and breaking my camera. I can keep my foot on the brake in the car and do it pretty quick. Corvallis is home of the red light (the lights aren't always timed well) so it should leave me opportunities for pictures.

      Delete
  5. It's part of their 1% for art. As far as being "regimentally placed", doesn't everybody use a tape measure to plant flowers to get the spacing just right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it is part of their 1%, or if they were just trying to dress up the eyesore.

      Measuring tape to space flowers, you might be on to something there.

      Delete
    2. I know I'm OCD (or CDO as the case may be) about some things. But I don't think taking a tape measure to flowers is one of them. Need blooming chaos. Literally. Hehe

      Delete
    3. We have the CDO joke in our office too.

      I have used the typical shovel handle for measuring when planting trees but I've never measured planting flowers. I'd have to agree 'blooming' chaos is good.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! I love tulips and they give the drab background promise!

    Good eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di. I agree, it would be pretty drab without them.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. As cheery as a construction site can be. I am impressed someone took the time to do it.

      Delete