Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The One Motorcycle Show

A few months ago a certain Aussie blogger mentioned in a post that maybe, just maybe, moto bloggers in Oregon might attend The One Motorcycle Show in Portland.  We'd thought about going in previous years, so this was a good excuse to put it on the calendar.  Admission is free so you can't go wrong....

Saturday morning Troubadour and I arrived at coffee at 9am and instead of the usual chatting until noon, we departed at 10am to make the 89 mile (143 km) trek to Portland.  It wasn't quite 40˚F (4˚C) so we were in the car.  Have heated seats, will travel.

We made a few stops along the way and arrived at The One about mid-afternoon.  On Saturday the show was open from noon until 11 pm.

We parked a few blocks away (closest we could get when not on a bike) and walked back to the Sandbox Studios.

There was live music and what seemed to be a lot of people.  I kept bumping into people (luckily no one spilled their beer on me) and it was a little hard to get a decent picture of the bikes due to the bright uplighting.  The bikes were also fairly close together so clean pictures of individual bikes wasn't always a possibility.

Here are some of the better shots of the bikes.  The ones I can identify I have, the others you'll just have to guess.

(A row of Kawasakis)

(Taken from the other end of the row)

(This Kawasaki was so nice it was rotating on a stand)

(Flying Irishman - Denny Edwards)

(The sign under the helmet)

(Ariel - I didn't peek at the year)

(Another Ariel)

(Norton of unknown year)

(Custom Ural by Icon Motorsports)

(Harley Davidson Sportster with a Warn Winch)

(Close up of winch)

(2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC named Dromedarii customized by Icon Motorsports)



(All set for the desert)

(2002 Ducati 998 named Menta custom built by Frosty)

(Not usually a fan of gold but I really liked this bike)

(custom  Ducati by Speedy Moto)

(Custom by Dues Ex Machina)

(Even Vespa was represented)





(1965 250cc by Moto Parilla)

(Some Suzukis)



(The Conquistador - a Bultaco 250)

(I thought the seat looked a tad uncomfortable)

(Triumph was well represented)

(One of the photo displays behind the Triumph)

(1976 Honda CJ 360 T named Snow, custom built by Joe Tessitore)

(1970 Honda CL 450 named Sporco Buco, custom built by Lossa Engineering)

(I thought the color scheme was nice but really liked the seat)

(Graffiti bike - the kids were all over this with the supplied paint markers)

(Large painting I thought was really cool - couldn't find the name of the artist though)

('Klausmann' by Monty Klaus - I found this blog post about it - click----> LINK)

(Right by the band - almost lost my hearing getting this shot - those drums were loud)

(Patience can get you a picture with minimal people)

(So then you may as well take a people shot)

(Small bikes were well represented)



(Cute little Honda - Something about that color...)

(But wait - it has Nitrous too)

(A general room/people picture)

(1974 Yamaha XS400 named INXS, custom built by Spin Cycle Industries)

(Something from Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome perhaps.....)

(Triumph America - customized by a retired cabinet maker - all real wood was used)

(Even the saddlebags were real wood)
That brought us full circle, but as we were heading out we walked by the display of custom helmets. Here a few that caught my attention.

(They had a wood one....)

(And a feather one.....)

(My favorite - one to test for color blindness, I hope you can see the 2)

(And a shiny metallic one)
And right at the exit was Lucy, not as cool as Troubadour's Lucy though.

(Lucy - been a rough life)
Once outside we wandered by some of the bikes ridden to the show by attendees.

(Nice Moto Guzzi)

The laugh and the 'slogan of the day' had to come from this bike.

(Yamaha 650 cc, notice the lunch pail/tail bag)

(Just remember, 'it's all pink on the inside'.)

As we were walking back to the car I noticed the old warehouses/factories in that area of town and took this one last non moto-related picture.  I could have taken more pics as there were several of them, but it was cold and the wind was biting.


We had a good day and I think we would have taken a little more time to wander at the studio if we hadn't of been so tired.  

- Au Revoir

"Freaks are the much needed escape from the humdrum.  They are poetry." - Albert Perry
.

36 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection of bikes. And I found out that I am not colour blind ;-)

    You were saying: Have heated seats, will travel. How about a motorcycle with heated seats? but I guess you are right, the weather is not very inviting, and aren't we all creatures of comfort? (I know I am.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, for not being color blind (or one aspect of it anyway)

      One of the BMW scooters Brad sat on at the show in December had a heated seat. And for $10k it should.

      Delete
  2. i really dig the graffiti bike, very cool idea. looks like a great show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a neat idea too and the kids were really having fun with it.

      Delete
  3. There were lots of cool bikes there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some neat creations.

      PolarBear went that afternoon too and took pics so hopefully he will post up some too.

      Delete
  4. It looked like a pretty nice show, and I liked the old warehouse venue. It seemed to fit, maybe without the loud music but it depends what they were playing....

    Thanks for posting all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was neat to have it in studio. According to their website it is an old forklift factory.

      I couldn't identify what the band was playing. It was loud. My ears weren't bleeding but it was bang your head until you get a headache loud. Oh wait, maybe I'm just getting old.

      Delete
  5. Awesome pictures! I think I would love to go to this show. I particularly liked the feather helmet - I wonder if birds of a feather would flock together when wearing this? Loved the lunch box at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the feathers are more aerodynamic. How can billions of birds and millions of years of flying critter evolution be wrong.

      I think you would have liked looking at all the custom bikes. I wish we were feeling better and were more awake as I think we would have taken a bit more time.

      I am not very happy with the way the pics turned out but at least it is something.

      Delete
  6. That was quite a show, what a variety. There seemed to be a lot of seats that didn't look like they were really made for riding (at least not by me). I liked the desert ready tiger, what a concept, paint it like it's already dirty and you never need wash it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think they were really meant for riding, at least not long distances, but some were really cool.

      I was thinking the same thing with painting a bike dirty, no need to wash it ever.

      Delete
  7. There is a very bad word on the graffiti bike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would that be 'sideburn' or 'seagulls'? :-)

      Delete
    2. I saw the word "boobs" too, but I didn't think you'd say that was a bad word...........

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing, they are great pics! So hard to get pics like that when there are crowds of people around the bikes, and what a crowd.

    I really liked the blue on the Honda, for some reason I have often admired that kind of baby blue on bikes, probably cause its not very often that you see it.

    So many cool bikes all in one place, I don't think I could have left there, cept for the crowds and the music, that may have chased me away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, between the uplighting and the people it was hard to get some pictures of the full bikes.

      The crowds and loud music is probably what got us to leave when we did. And we were tired from a week of being up at 4 am.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for going along! Hope you didn't have to punch any "hipsters" or look for hearing aids afterwards.
    There was an amazing variety of bikes there. I like the Tiger 800XC. Although, if you dropped it in the sand you might not be able to find it again!
    Thanks again ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome.....someone had to go for you, a tad expensive to come over yourself.

      Yeppers, true cammo on that Tiger, where'd the bike go? I dropped it around here somewhere.......

      And no punching of hipsters, although it did remind me of the mods and the rockers at one point just looking around the crowd. No rumbles broke out either though.

      Delete
  10. An incredible show, definitely worth time spent wandering. I really like the fact so many diverse machines got along as well as they did.

    Thanks for taking and sharing the photos Brandy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome.

      It was neat to see the bikes and worth the trip. In hindsight the music might not have been that loud, it might have been my headache, lol.

      Delete
  11. Trobairitz:

    Often the best bikes are the ones parked outside on the street. This is the way it is here when they have the Motorcycle Swap Meet coming up.

    I am not sure I could take that loud music. I can barely take it when there is a Boom car next to me. The vibrations "hurt". But thank you for enduring and snapping these photos. I know, you did it for us

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were dozens of bikes lining the streets, most were just everyday riders we see at coffee or around town. There were a few gems though.

      Delete
  12. The "wood" bike and helmet were interesting...now there's someone with some serious woodworking skills! I loved the very first picture with the royal blue Kawasaki, so shiny...

    Hope you are feeling better after getting caught up with your sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'good old boy' who did the wood work on the Triumph was there and telling us a bit about it. He was a bit hard to understand and I don't think that was his first beer he was drinking.

      Feeling better - yes, caught up on sleep - not so much. Which reminds me - off to bed.

      Delete
  13. That is funny... I took pictures of mostly the same motorcycles... guess it shows we have similar tastes. I guess I won't do a big long post with them now. Did you see that like 1/3 scale model of the CR77... I got a couple of frame of that..Somebody had way too much time on their hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure we didn't take the exact same pictures..... and I can't believe I missed the scale model. I think there must have been too many people around it to see.

      Delete
  14. Top show and great pics that I will study some more. Owned a Yammy XS650 for a few years. They are still desirable as modern classics over here and were big in grass track events too, with that solid old motor bored out and run on a methanol cocktail.

    Thought your readers might like to see the new UK requirements for getting one of the 4 classes of motorcycle licence recently introduced over here.

    http://www.geton.co.uk/content/getting-started-motorcycle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, with the process of getting a full on motorcycle license in the UK, it sure makes it seem lacking in our training process.

      In Oregon, anyone under 50 has to take a Team Oregon BRT (Basic Rider Training) class; Thursday evening and all day Saturday and Sunday. If you pass the BRT you can go out and buy and legally ride any bike you want from a moped to a Hayabusa. Doesn't mean you are ready to ride on the road or even should, but legally you can.

      Delete
    2. If you hold a fullmc licence in the UK, some insurance companies give a discount on account of all the training you get compared to a tin box driver (who, I have to say, tend to treat driving the same as making a cup of tea ie its just something they do, without thinking, same way, every day).

      Delete
  15. Lovely photos from the show, but no Kettles? The Kwak triples are a delight.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Language barrier Paul - what do you mean when you say Kettles? I think tea kettle. I am assuming it is a nickname or slang for something and google isn't helping me.

      Delete
  16. Looks like a great excuse to get out for the day brandy, and even better its free except fuel and lunch of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good excuse - although do we really need an excuse to look at bikes?

      I like that it was a free show since most you have to pay to get into or pay to park.

      Delete
  17. Very cool pics. I saw the 2. And I LOVE the lunch box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. The lunchbox struck me as hilarious. Someone had a sense of humor.

      Delete