Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Ahhhh Mother Nature

.
When suiting up this morning for my commute in the pouring rain, I decided I wasn't being stubborn by not taking the bus or a ride from someone else while the car is in the shop.

No, I decided I was "thumbing my nose at adversity while giving Mother Nature the finger." Much more satisfying than being stubborn.

It was raining when I let the cat out at 3:30 this morning, but by the time we woke at 6:00 it had stopped. By 7:00 it came back with a vengeance. Heavy rain and some cross winds thrown in for good measure.

My commute is only 3 miles so I didn't have a chance to get chilly. People at work thought I was crazy for riding in this but it felt pretty good. My route didn't have much gravel and only two stop lights were red. Okay, I admit, I only have a total of 4 stoplights on my commute so I was running at 50%. Pretty good for Corvallis, home of the red light.

I enjoyed the ride this morning more than I thought I would. I almost felt like skipping in the rain by the time I got to the office....


I wouldn't be near that graceful wearing full battle regalia. Sure it was an inconvenience getting suited up for such a short distance and I had to have my visor open a bit to keep from fogging up, but I was enjoying myself and it got me back on two wheels, which I haven't been for several weeks.

I was already out and wet, too bad I couldn't have just kept riding.

On a side note, my Rev'it Siren jacket and First Gear pants kept me totally dry. Even my wallet and cell phone in the outer pocket of the Rev'it were dry. After this week I'll have to post up a review of my wet weather riding gear. It is supposed to rain every day this week, but I think I can handle it.

Hooray, less than 3 more weeks until spring. Oh wait, doesn't it rain in Oregon in the spring?

-Au Revoir

"How can something bother you if you won't let it?" ~ Terri Guillemets
.

14 comments:

  1. So where do you park when you ride to work? Do you have a spot behind the building or do you park on 5th and Monroe where I see the blue Kawasaki?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about you today on my morning commute. I opted for the car (bad bluekat, bad), but I don't care for strong wind. I plan to ride any days the wind isn't terrible.

    You've discovered what I've discovered, the rain isn't so bad. In fact it can be downright pleasant. On the bike I feel isolated from other drivers and from the rain, in my own quiet space. Of course I'm on quiet country roads for the most part, so it's not quite like fighting traffic in town.

    May the rest of your week be an enjoyable ride. Do like your picture shows, kick off your boots and skip into work barefoot! Then they'll really think you're bonkers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love riding in the rain. This still astounds me. My commute is nine miles or so and takes 35min. I think it is funny that when I take off my gear I'm dry, whereas my co-workers who park in the car lot and take the shuttle often look like drown rats.

    Glad you enjoyed the commute more than you thought you would. By the way, how many sleeps is it until . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trobairitz:

    I actually thought about riding but luckily I didn't. When I got to work this morning our parking lot was a sheet of ice. Also the side streets around here have lots of slush

    Only 5 more sleeps . . . Unless you stay awake all night

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Thumbing noses and giving fingers are sometimes extremely warranted. Glad your commute was uneventful and dare we say, enjoyable? :)

    Good luck with the remaining week...and getting excited about the Gladius!

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometime its nice to ride in the rain but im not sure to work is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of us, one of us, gooble, gobble, gooble, gobble, one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont mind riding in the rain........there is a certain freedom and connection with mother nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Irondad - I have a parking spot right outside our back door. No view of the bike from my desk, but at least it is off the street parking.

    @Bluekat - riding in the rain has been fine, was most pleasant riding home while it was dry this afternoon too

    @CircleBlue - only 4 more sleeps. They called and confirmed everything is on schedule so as long as the parts come in Thursday we should be good to pick up the Gladius on Saturday.

    @Bobskoot - hope your snow has melted and you can get back out on two wheels soon

    @BeemerGirl - yes we can say enjoyable, but shhhhh, I wouldn't want that secret to get out.

    @Dave - not so bad riding to work in the rain, makes the office seem downright toasty when you take all your riding gear off.

    @Troubadour - ha ha

    @Raftnn - I would have to agree, it is great to be out in mother nature, things are just better when not cooped up inside.

    I have to admit I am enjoying commuting on the bike. Doesn't mean it will be my first choice for rainy weather, but I bet I use it more on the drier days than I ever have.

    This week is good for me. The only other time I'd ever ridden by myself was riding to work on Ride to Work Day last June. Now if I have the urge to go meet Troubadour for an impromptu ride after work I won't hesitate I'll just get on my bike and ride. I can only hope I take to the Gladius as easy as I did the TU.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trobairitz:

    Technically today is March 3rd (T minus -0). You could develop a severe headache and go to Portland (nudge, nudge), or just wait until Saturday

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry Bobskoot Troubadour got a call from the Suzuki dealer. The part didn't come in yesterday. We are still hoping it will be delivered today and can be fixed by tomorrow. We'll see.

    On a side note the car isn't fixed either. Turns out the BCM didn't fix it and now a fuel pump was shipped in to be delivered today (luckily under warranty). Then they can see if the car will start. If it does they will put the old BCM back in to see if the car will start. If it starts with the old BCM no charge to us. If we have to have the new BCM then it is the original $480 cost.

    Ended up borrowing a truck to get home yesterday since I got a ride to work anticipating the car being ready. Sure was weird riding on 4 wheels again. I almost forgot how in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of us, one of us, gooble, gobble, gooble, gobble, one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well!? Time for a new header photo?

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Richard..... yes it is time.......

    ReplyDelete