Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

17/29 for the #29in29

.
Day seventeen of the 29 in 29 photo adventure.

Tiny Puppetmaster, aka Martha, provided me with a link in a comment to another of her blogs, which displayed a copy of an old picture of Heceta House. The same Heceta House that sits by the Heceta Head Lighouse just North of Florence, Oregon on Highway 101. This got me to thinking of lighthouses and I mined the archives for some cool pics we have from touring Cape Blanco Lighthouse in Port Orford, Oregon. It was constructed in 1870 and was home to the first woman lighthouse keeper in Oregon.


(Cape Blanco Lighthouse)


(almost to the top)


(not quite there yet)


(and of course the light and lens at the top)


Oh, and to show it is semi moto-related here is a pic of me just down the road at the Patrick Hughes House (James Hughes, one of his 9 children, was a lighthouse keeper for 38 years). All of these pics were taken during our two-up Magical Mystery Tour to California back in June 2009.


(C'est moi)


- Au Revoir

"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships." - Charles Simic.
.

17 comments:

  1. Trobairitz:

    I have some lighthouses somewhere too ! They are usually around rugged cliffs, or dangerous rocks.

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cliffs near Cape Blanco were there but on the other side of the lighthouse. It was quite breezy too.

      Delete
  2. Don't you just love lighthouses! Nice images that really show off the character of the lighthouse. I think I especially like the interior/stairs shots and of course the lens is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like the inside pictures. The outside pictures are okay, but the inside is where the magic happens.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the nod and what a lovely lighthouse! And that link! How did I not see that before? It's hard to believe I was ever there. But then I don't think I ever saw the area when it was not in deep fog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to see much when it is foggy at the coast......

      Delete
  4. There is something so romantic about lighthouses. I think we went by there in '96 te coast is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree there is just something about them. They make good blog fodder too, lol.

      Delete
  5. Lighthouses have always been mysterious and romantic to me. The first one I saw personally was in St. Augustine, FL. We also climbed the winding stairs all the way to the top.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet Florida has some really neat lighthouses.

      They are some narrow stairs aren't they? The spirals weren't bad but the straight up ones were really narrow.

      Delete
  6. Cool lighthouse! We have a couple here in my area most of them are decommissioned at this point though. It is really cool to go to the top of them and check out the view it is amazing how far you can see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is a lighthouse challenge they do here on the Island, B. Have you seen that?

      Delete
  7. I agree, there is just something about the ocean and looking at it from that high up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some VERY cool photos. Especially the one of the candle with the glass. Is that the lighthouse they used in that Mel Gibson movie where he was a time traveler. I think it was called Forever Young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't think it was filmed there. Or if it was they didn't advertise that it was.

      It was the first time I'd ever been in a lighthouse so it was really neat. I loved taking the obscure pictures inside.

      Delete
  9. great post - love lighthouses.

    There is some romance-thing that I seem to attach to them. I just love seeing them out there, standing firm against the elements, persevering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so majestic standing out there all by themselves weathering the tests of time. Sigh. Now I just want to see another lighthouse, lol.

      You'd like Heceta Head Lighthouse since you can rent a room right in the Heceta House and watch the ocean and the lighthouse. Of course that is the one they claim is haunted. Boo.

      Delete